SAP Business One – Improving The Speed Of Reports
Along with general consultancy, system implementations, training, interfaces and development of SAP Business One, one of the most requested jobs is to improve the speed of reports. Reports can be written in SQL Queries, Crystal Reports or any other reporting tool. As a rule of thumb, if a report is running slowly, it is due to either the way it was originally written or the data it is reporting on. With some out of the box thinking it is usually possible to massively reduce the way a report runs by approaching it from a different view point.
I have personally managed to reduce report run times from 90 minutes to 30 seconds with a slight rewrite of the report – anyone who has been in a situation where there screen is frozen for 90 minutes will know how frustrating it is and what a massive improvement this is.
Ways to improve your reporting:
- Is it possible to improve the Joins?
- Is it possible to reduce the data calls?
- Will a database View reduce the run time?
- Can a temporary table(s) be created to reduce the run time?
- Is the report written in the best possible way?
- Are there unnecessary joins?
- Can the data be accessed from ‘better’ sources than already used?
- Are you able to create a better report from multiple sources rather than a nested, cascading report?
If you still have slow reports after addressing the above points then contact us and we will help you reduce the run time.